- What is the Trichocereus Spachianus?
- Trichocereus Spachianus Strain Guide
- Trichocereus Spachianus Distribution and Habitat
- Cultivating Golden Torch Cactus
- Is the Trichocereus Spachianus Psychedelic?
What is the Trichocereus Spachianus?
The terms Trichocereus spachianus and Echinopsis spachiana are both scientific names of the same species of cactus: the Golden Torch cactus.
The Golden Torch cactus also goes by other names such as White Torch cactus and the Golden Column. This mescaline cactus is commonly grown as a pot or rockery plant in different parts of the world.
Trichocereus Spachianus Strain Guide
The Golden Torch cactus is a columnar, lime-green, cylindrical plant. Tallest specimens reach heights of 2 meters with a diameter of 5cm to 6cm. Vertical branches sprout from the plant’s base. Every column has 10 to 15 ribs
Each rib has several small, yellow, hairy knobs with spines protruding from them. These plant structures are called areoles. These areoles are regularly spaced 1cm apart along the vertical length of the rib. These areoles contain red-yellow spines which fade to white as the cactus becomes older.
Areoles have a central spine which is about 1cm to 2cm long and is surrounded by 8 to 10 similar, smaller spines which are 0.5cm to 1cm in length.
Golden Torch produces white flowers which measure 15cm across and 18 to 20cm in length. In their native habitat, these flowers appear from June to July and only bloom at night.
Trichocereus Spachianus Distribution and Habitat
Like most of its relatives in the Trichocereus genus, the Golden Torch cactus is native to Western Argentina and Bolivia. Some specimens were also discovered in South Africa where it has been declared a weed by the natives.
However, with proper care and the provision of an environment to mimic its tropical habitat, Golden Torch can grow relatively anywhere.
Cultivating Golden Torch Cactus
Cactus Grow Conditions
When growing the Golden Torch cactus, you need to look at four different conditions: light, water, soil, and fertilizer.
Light – Trichereus cacti love strong light during the growing season. The plant should be moved outside but take precautions to prevent scorching. If you’re in the colder parts of the world, a southern exposure is preferred during winter time.
Water – It’s ok for the top 2 inches of soil mix to become dry between waterings but then, water thoroughly. Consistent draining is key to a healthy Golden Torch cactus so never use pots without proper drainage. During winter, stop watering the plant and stick to occasional misting.
Soil – A fast-draining cactus mix which is rich in nutrients is ideal.
Fertilizer – A standard cacti fertilizer mix will do for any Trichocereus cactus but suspend feeding during the winter period when the plant’s growth becomes dormant.
Propagating Golden Torch Cactus
The Golden Torch cactus can be easily rooted from offsets which cluster at the base of the mother plant. Even an unexperienced cactus grower can propagate the Golden Torch cactus by following these simple steps:
- Cut offsets as close to the stem as possible. Choose the narrowest place to perform the cut.
- Dry the cutting on a clean paper towel.
- The cut surface should have dried and formed a callous after a few days (or weeks depending on the size of the cut).
- After the callous has formed, put the cutting in a rooting mix of fast-draining cactus soil.
- Keep the cutting in a warm area and mist it just enough to keep it consistently moist. Healthy, young roots should form after a few weeks.
- After the new roots appear, pot the plant as a typical cactus and move it where it can flourish and soak up the sun.
Repotting Golden Torch Cactus
Repotting should be done as needed but only during the warm season. To repot the Golden Torch cactus, follow this simple procedure:
- Check to see if the soil is dry before repotting. Once confirmed, gently remove the plant from the pot.
- Brush away the oil soil from the roots. You might as well remove dead roots during this part of the process.
- Use a fungicide on the cuts if you did decide to trim some dead or rotten roots.
- Place the plant inside the new pot and fill it with potting soil. Make sure you spread out the roots as you fill it with more soil.
- Leave the Golden Torch cactus dry for a week then water lightly. This prevents the plant from developing root rot.
Just be careful when handling this psychedelic cactus species because they have stiff spines.
When taking care of the Golden Torch cactus, remember they prefer to have a dry period between each watering to the point where they will wilt a little. However, water deeply and thoroughly. You will know you have given enough when the plant has visibly plumped up.
The cactus should not be exposed to stagnant water so make sure the pot has adequate drainage. Finally, the growing season necessitates the use of fertilizer to produce the best results.
Is the Trichocereus Spachianus Psychedelic?
Golden Torch contains trace amounts of mescaline and tyramine. These are both psychoactive substances which are much weaker than the already known potent strains of Trichocereus cacti such as T. bridgessi and T. macrogonous.
Mescaline induces a psychedelic state which is similar to LSD and psilocybin but with some unique characteristics.
One of the most prominent effects is the saturation of colors which appear more brilliant and intense. Mescaline also produces visual patterns which include stripes, checkers, spikes, multi-colored dots, and simple fractals which become more complex with higher doses. Aldous Huxley described formless shapes which seem like animated stained glass illuminated from light coming through the eyelids.
Mescaline also creates kaleidoscope-like distortions which manifest under low light or when the eyes are closed.
Synesthesia, the crossing over of the senses, is a fairly common effect especially with the help of music. Synesthesia is the phenomenon wherein one can “hear colors” or “see sounds.”
This substance arouses the nervous system and its effects on the body can last up to 12 hours!
If you want to trip out on psychedelic cacti, look no further. Order mescaline cactus online to experience its natural psychoactive effects.