- Psilocybe Cubensis Strain Guide
- Psilocybe Cubensis Similar Species
- Psilocybe Cubensis Growing Conditions and Habitat
- Growing Psilocybe Cubensis Outdoors
- Harvesting Psilocybe Cubensis
- Psilocybe Cubensis Grow Kit
- Drying Psilocybe Cubensis
- Tripping on Psilocybe Cubensis
- Psilocybe Cubensis Preparation
- Psilocybin Extraction from Psilocybe Cubensis
- Psilocybe Cubensis Effects
Psilocybe cubensis is a known type of psychedelic mushroom. It contains the hallucinogenic compounds psilocybin and psilocin. It goes by many different names including bald heads, shrooms, magic mushrooms, golden tops, cubes, or gold caps.
Because it’s the most widely distributed and one of the easiest magic mushrooms to grow, Psilocybe cubensis became the most famous mind-altering mushroom.
When looking at Psilocybe cubensis, it doesn’t look particularly enchanted. In fact, its scientific name translates to “bald head,” a name that doesn’t even hint towards its capabilities. Despite an unassuming appearance, those who have ingested a dose of Psilocybe cubensis are witnesses to its life-changing properties.
Psilocybe Cubensis Strain Guide
- cubensis is one of the easiest magic mushrooms to identify. It has a conic to convex cap that’s 2-8cm across. As it ages, it becomes plane with a tiny nipple-like structure at the center of its head. The golden brown cap starts out reddish to cinnamon when young.
- cubensis becomes sticky when moist. It also changes color based on its level of hydration. The cap becomes injured wherever it is handled or injured.
The stem, scientifically known as the stipe, is 4-15 cm long and 0.5 to 1.5cm thick. It starts out white in young mushrooms but yellows with age. Like most psilocybin-containing mushrooms, P. cubensis have a starchy smell and taste.
Psilocybe cubensis spores are distinguishable because of their dark, purple brown hue.
The concentrations of psilocin and psilocybin were determined to be 0.14%-0.42% and 0.37-1.30% in dried magic mushrooms. In the stem, it’s 0.17-0.78% and 0.44-1.35% in the cap; 0.09-0.30% and 0.05-1.27% in the stem respectively.
Psilocybe Cubensis Similar Species
Several mushroom may be misidentified as P. cubensis at a glance. It’s important to be aware of them because some of these fungi are poisonous. They share the same general features including size, shape, and even a ring on the stalk underneath the cap. However, they differ in other significant details.
The harmless lookalikes include the Stropharia semiglobata and other Stropharia species. These are remarkably similar but they never bruise blue when handled because they don’t contain any psilocybin.
The Chlorophyllum moybdites is another doppelganger. Its main difference is that it has dull, greenish gray spores, and it doesn’t turn blue when handled.
Another deadly lookalike are the members of the Amanita species. They are pure white or yellowish to greenish brown with white spores. They grow associated with trees but they don’t bruise blue either.
Are you beginning to see the pattern?
To be identified as P. cubensis, the mushroom should satisfy the following criteria in appearance:
- Medium to large
- Has a reddish-cinnamon to cinnamon cap that is bell-shaped when young and umbrella-shaped as it opens out
- A pointed nipple-like bump or umbo in the center of the cap
- Dark, purplish-brown spores
- Has persistent ring or “skirt” of partial veil tissue on the stem under the cap
- Possesses a tough, stringy, white stem
- Stains an unmistakable BLUE where the flesh is bruised or cut
This guide should help you identify golden caps and avoid dangerous mushrooms that don’t have all the identifying features mentioned above.
Psilocybe Cubensis Growing Conditions and Habitat
- cubensis is a coprophilic mushroom which means it prefers to colonize the dung of large herbivores most notable cows and other grazing mammals. It is usually found growing solitarily or in clusters in cattle pastures, and humid grasslands in the tropics or in subtropical climates.
In the United States, P. cubensis is found growing from summer to autumn in the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Going south, this magic mushroom species grows in grasslands in Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Peru, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Janaica, Trinidad, and the Dominican Republic.
In Australia, it’s most commonly found in New South Wales, and Queensland. It was also reported to grow in Southeast Asian countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
This fungus is also reported to grow in India, Kenya, and Cuba.
Growing Psilocybe Cubensis Outdoors
Psilocybe cubensis can be cultivated indoors but by taking your grow process outside, you can grow a larger supply of shrooms which can last you for a year!
Growing your own magic mushrooms has plenty of benefits: it’s cheaper, you develop a deeper relationship with the mushroom you trip on, and you have a bountiful supply of psychedelics!
Unfortunately, it takes work, and patience. It’s different when you use a Psilocybe cubensis grow kit but if you’re starting from spores, the process is challenging especially when it comes to preventing contamination. A garden patch will help you combat contamination while increasing your chances for a great yield.
To create an outdoor mushroom patch, you need spawn. Spawn is a substrate which the P. cubensis mycelium has fully colonized. When it comes to outdoor mushroom grows, sawdust spawn is a good option. You can start with a bag of sterile grains which are already inoculated with a Psilocybe cubensis spore syringe.
Once you have the sawdust, immerse the sawdust in boiling water for 10 minutes to sterilize it. Drain the sawdust and then later place it in another bucket with your inoculated grain. Cover with a lid to maintain humidity. Open it once a day to allow fresh air to enter. After month, you’ll have sawdust spawn which is completely inoculated. It’s ready to be placed in your outdoor patch.
Every square meter of your outdoor patch will require 1.2kilograms of sawdust spawn.
Choosing a site for the P. cubensis outdoor patch:
Psilocybe cubensis grow best in indirect sunlight. Choose a spot that has light but will not expose the magic mushrooms for prolonged periods of time. Consider the distance too. You want a site that isn’t too far because during fruiting, you’ll have to visit the mushrooms daily to determine the perfect time to harvest.
And finally, the ideal site is where the grass and shrubs meet. This signifies a soil condition ideal for P. cubensis to grow. If you cannot find a spot like this, find a moist patch of land.
Creating a Psilocybe cubensis patch
Once you have the location, you need the following supplies:
- Sterilized wood chips
- Colonized sawdust spawn
- Clear a 1-square meter site of debris and strip it down to the mineral earth to remove any organisms which may compete with your P. cubensis mycelium.
- Cover the lowest layer with a piece of cardboard.
- Cover the cardboard with a 5cm layer of sterile wood chips and spread them as evenly as possible.
- Moisten the woodchips for a few minutes.
- Place the first layer of sawdust spawn on top of the wood chips. Distribute an even layer of 400g of spawn for every square meter.
- Place another layer of wood chips over the spawn. This layer needs to be thicker so make it 7cm. Moisten afterwards.
- Add another 400g of spawn.
- Place another 3cm layer of wood chips on top of the spawn.
- Moisten this layer of wood chips and cover with a final layer of 400g of sawdust spawn.
- At this point, you should have 3 layers of wood chips and 3 layers of spawn with a total 1.2kg of spawn. Once completed, soak the whole set up with water.
- Cover with a cardboard to lock the moisture in.
Now all you need is patience. Leave the patch undisturbed for at least 6 months.
This simple setup will allow P. cubensis mycelium to colonize the wood chips. Because most P. cubensis strains produce mushrooms from fall to early winter, you should tap into this natural clock and start growing a new patch by March.
During dry days, you can soak the bed with water. Make sure to keep an eye out for any parasites that may invade the beds.
Harvesting Psilocybe Cubensis
After following the method for Psilocybe cubensis outdoor cultivation, you might be wondering “when is the right time to harvest golden caps?”
Magic mushrooms are ripe and ready for harvesting and consumption just before the veil breaks. If factors such as humidity, temperature, and fresh air are consistent, this would be between 5-12 days after the mushrooms started popping up from the ground.
Psilocybe cubensis is most potent just before the veil breaks. Small, immature specimens of this hallucinogenic fungus are more potent that the larger, mature specimens. When harvesting P. cubensis, grab them firmly by the base and pull firmly until you hear a discernible “thud.”
Psilocybe Cubensis Grow Kit
For people who don’t have the time or patience to grow their own Psilocybe cubensis mushroom patch, a magic mushroom grow kit is the best alternative. Grow kits provide psychonauts the opportunity to grow their own magic mushrooms or magic truffles with minimal effort in the shortest period of time possible.
Grow kits typically contain an inoculated substrate. These grow kits already contain the living mycelium, a network of fungal threads that will expand through the substrate and form magic mushrooms. A typical grow kit requires you to expose the substrate to air and add water to trigger the growth of magic mushrooms or truffles.
Truffle Magic offers one of the easiest-to-use grow kits in the market. These grow kits were developed through cutting-edge technology by top mycologists who know everything about magic truffles. The Truffle magic online shop offers a wide variety of magic truffles from species similar to Psilocybe cubensis.
The procedure for a standard Truffle Magic is simple and easy to follow:
- Remove the lid of the inner, transparent box. Keep it open for three days.
- After three days, put the truffle contents from the inner box to the lid of the outer box.
- Use the holes of the outer box as a strainer and run tap water through it. Rinse it off with cold water until only truffles are left inside the lid. Shake the lid while doing so.
- Wait three days. You will then enjoy the freshest and most potent magic truffles you have ever tasted.
- You can either eat the magic truffles now or keep them in the fridge where they can last for weeks.
Drying Psilocybe Cubensis
After harvesting, magic mushrooms don’t stay fresh for long. To preserve them, it’s important to dry them. To get them cracker-dry, you will need to use a desiccant.
A desiccant is a substance that absorbs moisture. The most popular desiccant is silica gel but making your own desiccant is a cost-efficient and environmentally-friendly alternative. All you need is some Epsom salts from your local pharmacy.
Pre-Drying Psilocybe Cubensis
Pre-dry your magic mushrooms after harvesting to remove excess moisture. This step will also prevent molds from accumulating while you’re setting up your desiccant. Simply place your mushrooms on a plate and have a fan blow over them. Another method is to cover the plate with a black cloth and place it under direct sunlight.
You know you have done this correctly when they look slightly shriveled, have a rubbery texture, and are dry to the touch.
In this condition, your magic mushrooms will be unspoiled for a few weeks but if you want to store them longer, you’ll have to take the extra step and use a desiccant.
Using a Desiccant to Dry Magic Mushrooms
A cracker-dry P. cubensis is most ideal for long-term storage. The most effective, and easiest way to do this is by using homemade desiccants made from Epsom salts.
To create a desiccant out of Epsom salts, you will need the following:
- Baking tray
- Air-tight container
- Fill your baking tray with a 1cm layer of Epsom salts.
- Preheat your over to 250 degrees Celsius.
- Place the Epsom salts in the oven for 2 hours.
- The Epsom salts will absorb moisture from the atmosphere as soon as you take them out of the oven so be quick. Take your hammer and break the molded Epsom salts into smaller pieces. Place them in air-tight containers as soon as possible. You have now completed the simple procedure of manufacturing your own desiccant.
Now that you have your desiccant, you can perform the final phase of drying Psilocybe cubensis. The supplies you’ll need are:
- Homemade desiccant
- Large plastic container with tight lid
- Paper towels
- Metal mesh
- Pre-dried Psilocybe cubensis
- Place the desiccant at the bottom layer of your desiccant.
- Cover the bottom of the desiccant with paper towels.
- Bend the metal mesh so that it creates a platform holding the mushrooms above the paper towels. The mushrooms should never make contact with the desiccant.
- Place the mushrooms on top of the metal mesh.
- Cover the container.
- The desiccant will now start to absorb the moisture from the mushrooms. The lid needs to be tight so only moisture from the mushrooms and the air trapped in there will be absorbed.
Once you have this setup running, check back every couple of days to see how dry the mushrooms have become. Once they snap when you try to bend them, then they have become “cracker-dry.”
Your Psilocybe cubensis are now cracker dry and ready to store in a cool, dark, and dry place!
Tripping on Psilocybe Cubensis
The strength of Psilocybe cubensis can vary depending on the dosage and your inherent tolerance. A typical dose of dried Psilocybe cubensis is around 2 grams.
It’s almost impossible to overdose or get addicted to P. cubensis. However, taking a dose that’s different than anticipated may make you feel anxious. Research has suggested it’s advisable to start with a smaller dose and gradually increase it in successive sessions to reduce potential anxiety.
When it comes to taking Psilocybe cubensis, be sure to do the following:
- Put yourself in a good mood before tripping. Shrooms will intensify your mood when you take them. If you are miserable, it’s likely you’ll have a bad experience.
- Be in a comfortable, and trusting environment. A bad trip usually happens when you’re in an unfamiliar environment by yourself or in the presence of strangers. For beginners, it’s recommended to be in a relaxing environment, preferably with a trip sitter who can stay with you during the entire trip.
- Have water and a light snack close by. The effects of P. cubensis can last up to 6 hours. It makes sense to have hydration and nutrition within your reach as you may have difficulty making your way to the kitchen.
- Take P. cubensis on an empty stomach. Avoid eating for at least 3 hours before ingesting magic shrooms to absorb psilocybin more quickly.
- Don’t combine P. cubensis with other mind-altering substances. The psychedelic experience from psilocybin alone is good enough, there’s no need to mix it up with other drugs or even alcohol because this will only cause a bad trip.
- Know your dose. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to taking magic mushrooms. However, it’s best to go slow, and experiment conservatively.
A threshold dose starts at 0.25g and while this doesn’t create a dramatic effect, it will enhance colors in your vision. A light dose is between 0.25g-1g. Colors will become more intense and in the right state of mind, you will experience euphoria. You will also start to experience auditory hallucinations, and even your taste buds will be more sensitive to flavors.
Between 1.1-2.5g is a medium dose. This will create more intense hallucinations and even close-eye hallucinations. Your thought patterns will also change at this dose and some describe having a sense of freedom and openness. Anything above 2.5g is considered a high or strong dose and this is when psychonauts experience eye-opening events. Some claim to be able to talk to sentient or divine beings, and the personifications of their inner demons.
- Remember that whatever you experience while tripping on P. cubensis is temporary. If you encounter a bad trip, take comfort by knowing it won’t last long. If you’re worried about safety, remember there are no documented cases of psilocybin overdose, you will not permanently lose touch of reality, and you will not become a schizophrenic. P. cubensis and other psilocybin-containing mushrooms are some of the safest psychedelics on earth.
Psilocybe Cubensis Preparation
Once you’re prepared to trip on P. cubensis, it’s time to ingest these golden capped mushrooms to start your psychedelic journey. But did you know there are several ways you can consume these mushrooms?
- Psilocybe Cubensis Tea
When consumed in the form of tea, psilocybin is absorbed by the body faster. You can prepare one cup of team for every dried gram of Psilocybe cubensis.
- Heat the water to a rolling boil, then turn it off.
- Add the dried magic shrooms and wait until they have sunk all the way to the bottom. Don’t expose the magic shrooms to heat for too long otherwise it would lose all potency.
- Pour the liquids and the mushrooms in a wide-mouth mason jar and shake it up to make your tea ready faster.
- Strain the solid particles.
- You have now made a simple Psilocybe cubensis tea which will quickly bring you to a fast, but less intense trip.
- Psilocybe Cubensis Smoothie
One advantage of this method is it helps mask the starchy taste of P. cubensis.
- Crush 2 grams of P. cubensis.
- Make your favorite smoothie the way you want it.
- Add the powdered shrooms as a final step then pulse the blender to mix it well.
- Breaking down the mushroom to a powdered form enables the body to break down psilocybin faster resulting in a faster come up.
- Psilocybe Cubensis Lemon Shots
Lemons are filled with Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, which makes it easier for the body to absorb psilocybin.
- Smash your shrooms into a fine powder and place it into a cup.
- Pour in 2 to 4 ounces of fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Let the concoction sit for an hour. Stir occasionally.
- As the acid breaks down psilocybin into psilocin, you can expect your trip to be more intense, and much faster.
- Eat the shrooms
This classic method has survived through the years because of its simplicity. Make sure to chew on dried magic mushrooms slowly, and feel free to chase the taste with whichever drink you prefer.
There are many more ways to prepare and consume magic mushrooms. It’s up to you to be adventurous and find the method that best suits you!
Psilocybin Extraction from Psilocybe Cubensis
Extracting psilocybin from Psilocybe cubensis concentrates the hallucinogenic and creates a potent psychedelic dose. This entire process requires the following supplies:
- 200 proof ethyl alcohol
- Drinking glass
- Bottles with tight caps
- Small fan
- 10cc syringe
Psilocybin extraction from Psilocybe cubensis procedure:
- Gather dried Psilocybe cubensis. The more shrooms you gather, the more potent the concentration becomes.
- Pulverize the shrooms by putting them in a small, strong, zip lock bag, and pound it with a small hammer.
- Pour the powdered shrooms into a bottle with a tight-fitting leak-proof cap.
- Add enough ethyl alcohol to turn it into a slurry. Shake and let it sit for a day.
- Activate the extraction by shaking it every now and then.
- After 24 hours of extract the alcohol by filtering the mixture through inexpensive dust-pollen masks. Fit a mask over the mouth of a drinking glass and pour the slurry into the filter. Squeeze the filter and slurry to extract the alcohol.
- Store the fresh extract in a new, clean bottle.
- Retrieve the shroom material from the filters, re-soak the extracted shroom material in alcohol, and repeat the steps for a secondary filtration.
- Combine your alcohol extracts into a glass. Speed up evaporation and concentration by placing a small fan near it and have it blow air directly down into the glass until the surface of the alcohol ripples. This process will last several hours. A longer evaporation time is needed if you used a lot of alcohol extract. You should come up with 1cc of alcohol extract for every 1 to 3 grams of dried Psilocybe cubensis.
- The concentrated liqueur will have a pungent aroma similar to shrooms. Store it in small, screw cap bottles.
Psilocybe Cubensis Effects
Magic mushrooms do more than just create stunning, psychedelic visuals. Evidences point to magic mushroom’s abilities to free the mind. Several studies were also conducted to determine the relationship between shrooms and their purported health benefits. Here’s a rundown of what bald heads can do to your body.
Magic mushrooms give you hallucinations. P. cubensis hyper-connect the brain’s neural highways. These hyper-connections result in communication in parts of the brain that don’t usually engage. This is the reason why users see sounds or hear colors, an effect called synesthesia.
Your pupils will accommodate more light. Magic mushrooms will dilate your pupils. By doing so, more light will enter and colors will seem more saturated than before. This is one of the first signs as your body starts to feel the effects of psilocybin.
Your sense of time will change. Perceiving time to be much slower is one of the side effects of using shrooms. This is why trippers think they’ve been seeing psychedelic visions for days when in reality only hours have passed.
Psilocybe cubensis can mimic an out-of-body experience. In high doses, people report looking at their bodies from an outsider’s point of view, a feeling similar to astral projection or an out-of-body experience. This typically begins during the first 20 to 90 minutes after ingesting psilocybin. Your experience will vary based on your mood, and surroundings.
Brain hyper-connections may help magic shrooms soothe the symptoms of depression. In brains of depressed people, the brain highways are locked into a pattern of depressive thinking. These connections are too strong. Psilocybin from magic mushrooms loosen these connections and create new ones which provide intense relief for depressed patients.
Psilocybe cubensis will make you feel good. Magic mushrooms lead to feelings of relaxation similar to low doses of marijuana.
The effects of a single dose can last up to months. While the acute, psychedelic effects of psilocybin wears off in around 8 hours, the uplifting, feel-good effects can last for months. Two clinical trials of the effects of psilocybin on patients dealing with depression and distress suggest it can be a powerful tool to battle depression and anxiety. Six months after ingesting their first dose of the drug, 80% of the participants showed a decrease in their symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Golden caps can reduce anxiety. A study in New York is looking at how the drug can affect anxiety in cancer patients. Researchers observed the effects of psilocybin on volunteers and most of them reported their “anxieties, defenses, and insecurities weren’t something to worry about.”
You will be more open to new ideas and you may even become more imaginative. Participants in a study led by Johns Hopkins psychologists say they felt more open, more imaginative, and more appreciative of beauty after being dosed with psilocybin. Close to half of these participants continued to score high in a personality test that evaluates their “openness.”
You become more spiritual through Psilocybe cubensis and other psilocybin-containing mushrooms. When researchers followed up with their volunteer a year after, almost two-thirds of them report the experience they had with magic mushrooms as one of the most important experiences in their lives.
Now that you know everything you need to know about Psilocybe cubensis – from identification to extracting psilocybin and the psychedelic effects – you can now start your psychedelic journey with Psilocybe cubensis.
If you don’t have Psilocybe cubensis at hand, you can try other options. You can order magic truffles online through Truffle Magic.